About Waterboro

Information Center
fb

Information Center

About Waterboro

Waterboro is a town of about 7,000 residents which covers 53.5 square miles. The first permanent settler was Capt John Smith in 1768 and the Town of Waterboro was incorporated March 6, 1787. At that time Waterboro was known as Massabesic Plantation. The town is currently governed by a town meeting-Board of Selectmen charter. The charter was adopted by the town on April 25, 2003, and most recently Amended November 6, 2012 (effective July 1, 2013).

Little Ossipee Lake is a foremost natural resource in the town and covers 564 acres. Another point of interest in town is Ossipee Mountain which is the highest point of land and reaches 1058 feet above
sea level. Located on the mountain is fire tower which is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register.

Waterboro Town Charter

Federal Street Dog Park

The Johnson Mill - Dennis Johnson Lumber Company
History of Waterboro - by Willis Lord (1987)
History of Waterboro - Social Studies Committee of SAD#57 (Massabesic School District)
Waterboro School History - Research by Marion A. Waterhouse
The Taylor House - by Jim Carll (Oct. 1989)
The Schooner Waterborough - (condensed) National Fisherman Article by Steve Libby
The 1947 Fire - Waterborough Historical Society (Oct. 1978)